At Lourdes Joint & Spine, we believe in teamwork. We are proud of our collaboration with the Orthopedic Surgeons from Tri-City Orthopedics and Benton Franklin Orthopedics. Together, we’ll work to provide you an exceptional experience from start to finish.
Choosing Your Orthopedic Surgeon
If you are searching for an orthopedic surgeon, here are a few tips:
1. Ask for a referral from your primary care physician.
2. Ask family and friends if they can recommend an orthopedic surgeon.
4. Ask questions. For starters, here are some commonly asked questions.
- Are you Board-Certified?
- Approximately how many of these surgeries are done each year at Lourdes?
- What is your experience with this type of surgery? How many have you performed?
- What risks might be involved? How likely are those risks?
- Are there written materials or videos on my surgery?
- Will I be anesthetized? How? What are the risks?
- What type of implant will be used? How durable is it? What else do I need to know?
- How long will I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long is the recovery process?
- Will I experience a lot of pain? If so, what kind of pain relief will be available to me?
- Will I need physical therapy? For how long?
- Are there any restrictions on my everyday activities i.e. driving, bathing, stairs, etc.?
- How long will I need to be off work?
- How often must I return for follow-up appointments?
- What are signs of trouble or complication after surgery?
- How much improvement should I expect following surgery?
5. Get a second opinion if you are at all hesitant.
6. Don’t settle. If a surgeon makes you uncomfortable, keep looking for the right fit.