September 13, 2016
September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month at Lourdes.
Did you know?
According to the CDC, each year more than 41,000 individuals die by suicide, leaving behind thousands of friends and family members to navigate the tragedy of their loss.
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death among adults in the U.S. and the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10-24.
Each week in Washington State, an average of two youth die by suicide. Another 17 attempt suicide, and their injuries result in hospitalization.
Know the Warning Signs!
Warning signs that someone may be thinking about or planning to commit suicide include*:
• Preoccupied with thoughts or conversation about death
• Deep sadness, loss of interest, trouble sleeping or drastic change in appetite or eating habits
• Having a “death wish” (i.e. taking unnecessary risks that could lead to death such as driving too fast or running red lights)
• Losing interest in things one used to care about
• Making comments about being hopeless, helpless or worthless
• Putting affairs in order, tying up loose ends, or changing a will
• Saying things like “it would be better if I wasn’t here”
• Sudden, unexpected switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
• Visiting or calling people to say goodbye
• Posting comments on social media about death and dying
• Increasing use of alcohol or drugs
• Deteriorating grooming habits
• Intolerance of praise or rewards
• Giving away prized possessions
• Suddenly becoming cheerful or relieved after a period of sadness or depression
• Physical complaints that seem to have no physical basis, such as headaches and stomach aches.
*This list is not all-inclusive and not everyone responds in the same manner.
Help is Available!
Benton & Franklin Crisis Response Unit
(509) 783-0500 – Available 24/7
Lourdes Immediate Response Counselors
(509) 943-9104 – Available Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm
National Suicide Hotline
(800) 273-TALK (8255) – Available 24/7
Text START to 741741 to talk to a trained counselor – Available 24/7