November 13, 2015
Lourdes held an open house for the new da Vinci® Si Surgical System at Lourdes Medical Center.
Nearly 50 employees learned about our new equipment by “performing” an operation (using the Milton Bradley Game Operation). Trained physicians and others were on hand to answer questions.
Here are some brief facts on the da Vinci® Si:
• The da Vinci Surgical System is a tool that uses advanced, robotic, computer and optical technologies to help surgeons.
• It does not act on its own and its movements are entirely controlled by your surgeon.
• Its 3D, high-definition vision system, special instruments and computer software allow surgeons to operate with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control.
• The image is highly magnified, so your surgeon has a close-up view of the area he or she is operating on.
• The cuts (incisions) made by surgeons are smaller than the cuts made during open surgery.
Studies of da Vinci® surgery have shown the following benefits in comparison to open surgery:
• A shorter hospital stay
• Less blood loss
• Fewer complications
• Less need for narcotic pain medicine
• A faster recovery
• Smaller incisions associated with minimal scarring
Lourdes Urology Clinic — Dr. Vance and Dr. Berger — will be performing Prostatectomies. The da Vinci® will also be utilized by physicians for single site hysterectomies and gall bladder surgeries as well as for hernia correction. Lourdes will hold a community open house for associates and family members interested in test drive the da Vinci®.